If you are looking for lawyers for drug transportation related cases in Los Angeles, we can help. At Lluis Law we have over 50 years of combined legal practice dealing with all kinds of drug related cases in L. A. and other cities.
The transportation of controlled substances is sanctioned by both federal and state laws with up to 5 years in prison. Whether in motor vehicles such as cars, trucks or planes, in trains, boats or jet skis.
Call right now to request a consultation with one of our drug crime lawyers.
The best lawyers for drug transportation crimes in Los Angeles, California
The California Health and Safety Code, Section 11352, expressly prohibits the transportation of drugs for sale. Like the importation into the state of any type of controlled substance with the intention of sale.
Drug trafficking and transportation across the state has become a frequent crime and severely prosecuted given its border status.
- Transportation of controlled substances within the state is carried by the attorney general.
- If it is transported between state or international borders, it falls under federal jurisdiction.
To defend yourself against such an accusation, it is essential to hire lawyers specialized in drug transportation cases in Los Angeles. Regardless of the type of drug involved, including cocaine, methamphetamine, crack, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy, or other. Even prescription drugs.
What we do for you
- In our consultation we will tell you your real available options.
- If you hire us, we will be by your side at every stage of the judicial process to assist and represent you.
- We have acted on hundreds of cases in Los Angeles and the rest of California. With 50 years of combined experience, our commitment to the client goes hand in hand with our experience.
- Not everyone accused of transportation or drug trafficking is guilty. You will be innocent to us until proven otherwise.
- We seek ways to best protect your rights and offer you a strong defense.
Penalties for a drug transport conviction
Sentences for this crime vary by jurisdiction (state / federal). The amount of drug transported, the geographical area where it was seized, whether minors are involved and other factors also influence.
Likewise, the criminal record of the accused for drugs or any other serious or minor crime. Being charged with a crime for transporting a controlled substance in California can carry prison terms and very high fines. Among these:
- Prison in a state jail for up to 5 years.
- Fines for high amounts (up to $ 20,000).
- Court ordered drug counseling / rehabilitation courses.
- Community service.
- Data introduced in your criminal record.
- Deportation if you are an undocumented alien.
If the person accused of the crime of transporting drugs has relapsed, the sanction increases. Instead if it is the first offense, you could be a candidate for a jail replacement program. According to the behavior that the defendant shows and the circumstances surrounding the fact.
Generally, the transportation of drugs is associated with other crimes of a criminal nature such as homicide, possession of weapons, theft and others. Therefore, the defense of a person accused of this crime requires extensive knowledge of the law and experience.
Additional penalties for drug transport
|Transport of controlled substance (cocaine, heroin)||Additional sentence|
|More than 1 kilogram (kg)||3 years|
|More than 4 kg||5 years|
|More than 10 kg||10 years|
|More than 20 kg||15 years|
|More than 40 kg||20 years|
|More than 80 kg||25 years|
Possible defenses against drug transportation charges
The defense strategy is outlined according to the nature and specific details of the case. Therefore, when we take a case we make sure to review even the smallest element.
That is, the procedure of search and seizure of the drug, the arrest, the promotion of evidence and the place. In addition to the type and amount of drugs seized and the way it was transported.
All drug cases are different from each other, there are always mitigating or aggravating elements present in them. Some of the strategies that we apply at Lluis Law to defend our clients for this crime are based on:
- An illegal search and seizure process.
- Police inability to establish probable cause.
- Wrong arrest by the police.
- The defendant was forced to engage in illegal activity.
- Use of entrapment or deception by the police.
- Presenting inadequate or tampered evidence by the police.
- The client was unaware of the existence of illegal drugs on his property (vehicle).
- The accused is a minor without due guidance from his parents.
Benefits of contacting an expert drug lawyer
The benefits of hiring an expert drug lawyer translate into advantages and greater possibilities for the client. Despite the fact that the law is very severe regarding this type of crime.
- The first thing will be to carry out a thorough review of the case where the lawyer can do his own investigation. Failures in police legal procedures or evidence that may not be sustained may be discovered.
- They must know how the case will be filed and on what charges to build a strong defense.
- It is essential to take the case early to cover each stage of the judicial process.
- Sometimes it will be possible to negotiate with the prosecutor to obtain advantages in your favor. In others it will be fought until the end, getting charges dismissed.
Evidence for the crime of drug transport
Proving the guilt of a defendant for the crime of transporting a controlled substance requires proof that:
- The accused is guilty of the crime of transportation or sale of a controlled substance. For this, the prosecutor must in turn be able to demonstrate various elements in the process:
- The defendant transported, imported, sold, supplied, administered or gave away a controlled substance in California or offered to collaborate in these acts.
- The defendant was aware of the presence of the drug.
- The defendant knew the nature of the controlled substance.
- The quantity of drug found was a “usable quantity”.
- To establish the crime of transport, it is not necessary to travel a long distance with the drug. Simply carry a cache, batch, or shipment of narcotics from one house to another. Furthermore, the drug must be physically present during the procedure.
What is considered a controlled substance in California?
Controlled substances are classified according to their dangerousness and the degree of physical or psychological dependence they generate. The prohibition of the transport or sale of drugs is applied according to its category.
Drug Schedule 1
They have a very high potential for danger and abuse and dependency for those who consume them, for example:
- Lysergic acid (LSD).
- Marijuana (cannabis).
Drug Schedule 2
These types of controlled substances have a high potential for abuse, but less than those of classification 1. For example:
- Hydromorphone (Dilaudid).
- Meperidine (Demerol).
Drug Schedule 3
These are defined as controlled substances with a moderate potential for physical and psychological dependence. Its abuse potential is lower than the two previous drug groups. For example:
- Tylenol with codeine.
- Anabolic steroids.
Drug Schedule 4
These types of substances or drugs have a low potential for abuse and a risk of dependency. For example:
Drug Schedule 5
These chemicals are classified with a lower abuse potential than the previous ones. They include drugs such as pain relievers, antidiarrheals, and antitussives. For example:
- Robitussin AC.
Not all controlled substances are treated equally in California. The sale or transportation of drugs with the intention of selling applies to multiple categories of drugs.
Prescription drug transportation charges
The transportation and sale of prescription drugs are also sanctioned by California law. Both crimes carry penalties similar to those imposed for the transportation / sale of drugs such as cocaine / heroin.
These are some medications that are sanctioned in their illegal transportation::
- Hydrocodone / vicodin.
- Oxycodone / oxycontin.
- Oxymorphone / Darvon.
- Hydromorphone / Dilaudi.
- Fentanyl / Duragesic.
A person, even with a valid prescription for these medications, cannot transport or sell them either. The penalties for illegal transport of medicines or illegal transport with intent to sell, so establishes.
Despite the fact that marijuana laws allow its possession and consumption in California, its unauthorized transportation is illegal.
If you need to be represented by Los Angeles drug transportation lawyers, we can help. Our criminal defense attorneys are drug specialists and are also skilled immigration lawyers. In case you are also facing deportation proceedings.