If you or a loved one need to consult with truck accident lawyers in Los Angeles, we can help. At Lluis Law, we have been representing victims of this type of tragic accident for more than 50 years. Call now for a free consultation and case review and we will quickly take care of your situation.
Did you know that truck-owned companies generally have a $ 1,000,000 liability insurance for drivers? It means that if the driver of a truck is found guilty, that can be the indemnifiable sum.
Such compensation for a car accident in California can be received by the accident victim or his family.
The best truck accident lawyers in Los Angeles, near you
Truck accidents often lead to disputes with the insurance company of the responsible party. Among other things, because they are accidents involving fatalities or very serious injuries whose compensation is very high.
Our truck accident lawyers in Lluis Law, offer their clients a specialized, dedicated and responsible legal service. We strive to obtain the best possible compensation for our clients, while they recover from their injuries.
These are some of the reasons why it is convenient to hire a good truck accident lawyer:
- We work under the contingency rate system; that is, no fee until the case is resolved. In addition, the customer does not pay anything out of pocket during the claim process.
- Identify the person responsible for the accident and gather the necessary evidence to present the claim.
- Calculate in the first free consultation what is the approximate amount of compensation that the client will receive.
- These cases require lawyers specialized in truck accidents who have had experience negotiating compensation with insurance companies.
- At the Lluis Law firm, we are also criminal defense lawyers, so we dominate the criminal area.
- We fight for every dollar you are entitled to.
- We offer the best legal service in Los Angeles and keep the client constantly informed about the status of the case.
- In claims for compensation for death in a traffic accident , we have a large record of cases won.
What to do after a truck accident in California?
All drivers involved in a traffic accident must stop and wait for the police and the emergency service. Leaving the accident scene is considered a crime.
After a truck accident, we recommend following these steps if you are able to do so:
- Call the emergency service for medical help in the shortest possible time.
- Call the police or road patrol to get the accident report.
- Exchange personal information with the other drivers involved. For example: name, license number, social security number, company, insurance policy number, etc. Also the data of the truck (license plate, name of the company for which it works).
- If the accident is with injured or deceased persons and damages greater than $ 1000, it must also be reported to the California DMV.
- Collect information at the accident scene (videos, photos, etc.). Search for possible witness data.
- Preserve evidence (save the police report, the report of the attending physician, medical bills)
- Get a medical evaluation. Even if you do not feel symptoms of injury or feel well, it is important to see a doctor. Injuries may appear some time later.
Why is it important to identify the cause of the truck accident?
To request compensation after a truck collision, it is crucial to identify the person responsible. California law requires that to file a claim and recover damages before the fault is determined.
Commercial truck accidents can be very complex in terms of determining liability. In some accidents involving trucks with more than 18 wheels, the responsibility may fall on more than one of the parties.
There are drivers who work for big transport companies or are independent contractors. In some traffic accidents, both parties could be guilty of injuries and other damages.
Then other aspects and indirect managers must be considered. For example, the truck manufacturer, if the accident was caused by a defective part. The workshop where the truck was repaired before the accident if it is suspected that there was a mechanical failure. Also, the company that loaded the truck.
Causes of truck accidents
These accidents could be avoided if periodic inspections are carried out on vehicles to ensure their proper functioning. On the other hand, companies are obliged to properly train truck drivers.
Cargo trucks can cause very serious personal injuries because of their size and weight, more than any other vehicle. Like a driver of a public transport vehicle, the driver of a truck must have special training.
When you do not drive properly or traffic laws are violated, these trucks can cause major tragedies. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents are:
- Mechanical problems of the vehicle (defective tires or brakes).
- Driver negligence and recklessness (distraction, speeding, alcohol or drug use).
- Lack of training and inexperience of the driver.
- Bad road conditions (gaps, damage, obstacles).
- Defective road design (bad signaling, narrow track).
- Bad weather conditions (rain, snow, thick fog).
- Driving behind or next to a truck, in blind spots where the visibility of the truck driver is zero.
- Uninsured or loose cargo.
- Driving a vehicle in the opposite direction of the truck and changing lanes facing the truck. Take an unexpected right turn in the same direction that the truck turns. Turn left of the truck at an intersection.
Most common injuries in truck accidents
Truck accidents can leave truly devastating and disabling injuries. Even in some cases they are an important factor of death on the roads of California.
The most common injuries that cause truck accidents are:
- Head and neck injuries.
- Head injury.
- Spinal injuries.
- Paralysis (hemiplegia, quadriplegia).
- Abdominal injuries
- Arm and hand injuries
- Back injuries
- Amputation of members
If you want to learn more about the topic, read our article on common traffic car accident injuries.
Compensation for a truck accident in Los Angeles
Trying to get compensation after being involved in a truck accident can be a challenge for the victim or his relatives. Insurance companies are hard bones to crack when they have to disburse millionaire payments for a traffic accident.
Possible disputes and denial of claims by insurance companies justify you hiring effective legal representation. The Los Angeles truck accident lawyers of Lluis Law are professionals with a lot of experience in these cases.
In addition, you will not have to worry about how much do truck and car accident lawyers charge. Our lawyers work with no out-of-pocket costs for the client. We only charge our fees when we win the case for you.
During five decades of legal practice we have recovered hundreds of millions in compensation for truck abuses. We have also acted in cases of compensation for serious injuries or death.
Physical damages and recoverable property damage after a truck accident are grouped into two categories.
They cover all tangible financial damages, such as:
- Medical expenses for the treatment of injuries, including rehabilitation therapies.
- Loss of wages and potential income due to inability to work.
- Repair or replacement of the vehicle for total loss.
- Transportation expenses associated with injuries.
- Nursing staff to care for the patient at home.
- Any type of adaptation made to the car or at home due to injuries.
At Lluis Law we are bus accident lawyers and train accident specialized lawyers. We help you get your financial compensation.
They are those that do not involve losses of money but also seriously affect the life of the injured person. Non-economic damages are intangible losses associated with injuries, for example:
- Pain and suffering or emotional distress (posttraumatic stress).
- Loss of a job or career.
- Decreased interest or ability to perform certain tasks or activities (walking, playing and other hobbies).
- General disinterest in life.
- Loss of consortium or company (relationships with the couple, etc.)
For years we have also solved more modern transport cases because we are accident lawyers of Uber and Lyft and lawyers specializing in electric scooter accidents among other areas of specialization.
How much time do I have to file a truck claim in California?
The time limit for filing a claim or lawsuit is set by the California Statute of Limitations. To pursue damages against a driver responsible for injuries and other losses, the limit is two years. The clock starts running from the date of the accident.
However, if injuries after the truck accident are discovered later, the limit is one year. To rule out any internal injury, it is important to consider the time to go to the doctor after an accident.
Can I file a wrongful death claim for a truck accident?
Yes. The next of kin of the victim can file a claim or a wrongful death claim against the person responsible for the accident. Through a claim for wrongful death certain damages can be recovered such as:
- Funeral expenses and burial.
- Loss of anticipated income.
- Loss of future earnings.
- Loss of financial support for direct family members and other benefits (pension).
- Loss of consortium (deprivation of family relationships).
- Loss of company.
- Suffering and mental anguish.
- Punitive damages.
To cover medical and other expenses related to the accident that the victim had to pay before dying, a “Survival Action” can be invoked. Our car accident lawyers in Los Angeles can explain more fully what this means.
Call now for a free consultation and case review to any of our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers and we will gladly answer all your questions.