Machine accidents or defective equipment
Los Angeles Product Liability Attorney
Work accidents due to the use of defective machinery and equipment are more frequent than people imagine. However, many times the worker cannot identify when the injuries were caused by a defective product and when not, can even believe that it was he himself who was at fault for the accident.
When an injury is caused by the use of defective equipment or machinery, the worker may be entitled to seek compensation for damages.
What is defective ‘work equipment’?
It can be any work equipment or machinery, an apparatus, a tool or an installation used to perform a work activity. Defective equipment covers a wide range of machines, from a simple chair to heavy machinery used in the construction of a work.
These are some of the defective equipment used in the job sites:
- Cranes, trucks, forklifts, vans, tractors, forklifts.
- Electric tools and manuals.
- Electronic equipment.
- Electric equipment.
- Stairs and scaffolding.
- Kitchen equipment.
- Office team.
- Various furniture (office chairs and desks).
Accidents and work injuries due to the use of defective equipment or machinery
There are many and varied causes of accidents and injuries at work due to the use of defective machinery or equipment. Among these we can include the following:
- Due to the use of defective / unsafe work equipment. Amputation or crushing caused by lack of protection or inadequate use of a machine in the factory. Also by electric shock or burn caused by faulty electrical equipment.
- Falls from heights. Use of scaffolding and other unsafe work platforms, faulty or inadequate ladders. These accidents are caused by the use of any of these equipment inadequately for the type of work that is performed.
- Cuts and lacerations. Due to broken parts and sharp edges in work equipment.
- Injuries due to the use of equipment without adequate protection. Injuries can include hearing loss from the use of very noisy equipment without adequate protection for the ears. Also severe vision damage due to lack of protection in welding works or exposure to vapors and acids in the chemical or manufacturing industry.
- Work accidents and injuries due to lack of training. The inadequate or insufficient training of the personnel for the use of a work team, can also cause very serious accidents because the workers are not really prepared for the use and operation of equipment in a safe way.
- Unsafe use of the work team. Even though the work equipment works correctly, the worker can still suffer accidents and injuries if he uses it incorrectly. The employer has the duty that the operator of a team uses it in an appropriate way and that the system of work in general in the company is safe.
Obligations of the employer regarding the safe use of machinery and work equipment.
Employers must comply with a series of health and industrial safety standards for the different tasks performed by their personnel. These standards are intended to guarantee the safety and protection of workers for the use of work equipment.
The regulations and standards are applied according to the type of work, the work site and the type of equipment used. In this sense, the duty of the employer with the personnel of his company is:
- Always provide the worker with work equipment, adequate and safe to perform their tasks.
- Maintain properly and safely the work equipment through a permanent inspection.
- Perform periodic risk assessments in the company and identify any type of underlying risk by the use of work equipment.
Compensation claims for work team injuries
People who are injured as a result of dangerous equipment in their workplace may be entitled to claim compensation if they can identify the third party responsible. An accident and personal injury lawyer for the use of defective machinery can help you solve the case and get fair compensation.
The claim or demand against a third party for civil liability of defective product may include the manufacturer, if the accident was caused by a defective equipment, the equipment / machinery distributor or the maintenance company of the equipment.