At the Lluis Law office, Los Angeles spinal cord injury lawyers work to seek compensation for their clients. These accidents cause different types of medical problems that require compensation for the victims.
If you have been involved in one of these accidents in Los Angeles, California or in any other state, do not hesitate to contact us. Our consultation is 100% free and does not commit you to anything.
The importance of hiring the best spinal cord injury lawyers in Los Angeles, California
Spinal cord injuries are incredibly expensive. These affect the lives of victims who need continuous treatment, from a specialist or physical therapist. They may also need surgery, therapy, and even 24-hour care. Even the best health insurance does not guarantee the best treatments.
If this injury was caused by the carelessness, failure or negligence of another person, company or product, you have the right to sue. Consequently, you are also entitled to fair compensation.
Our catastrophic injury lawyers have been dealing with these issues for over 40 years. Feel free to contact us and get the best possible defense to increase your chances of receiving your fair compensation.
What is a spinal cord injury?
Spinal cord injuries in legal terms are catastrophic injuries. The damages in these cases are usually permanent. Damage can be caused to both the central nervous system and the cord itself.
In the same way as in brain injuries, the cord, like the brain, cannot grow back like other body tissues. Also like the brain, the spinal cord controls essential functions that can disappear when injured.
As we will see later, victims can suffer permanent disabilities for life. Quite simply, it is a devastating injury to the victim and their family members.
Classification in spinal injuries
These injuries fall into 2 main categories:
- Incomplete injury: In these cases, some nerve signals may travel through the injured area of the spinal cord.
- Complete injury: It is characterized by a total loss of muscle function and sensitivity from the point of injury downwards.
Classification of paralysis and other trauma to the spine:
- Monoplegia: This affects an extremity.
- Hemiplegia: Is located in a part of the body that can be the face, a leg or an arm, among others.
- Spinal contusions: Bruises appearing on the spine can often be the result of bleeding in inflammation of the spine.
- Central cord syndrome: Refers to damage caused to the vertebrae of the central spinal cord. People who suffer from it may experience partial paralysis. Also loss of sensory perception or weakness in the extremities.
- Paraplegia: This affects the legs, part or all of the trunk of the body and the pelvic organs. On average, a person suffering from it can accumulate a total of $ 330,000 in medical expenses and a total lifetime cost of more than $ 2 million.
- Quadriplegia or tetraplegia: It affects the torso and the four extremities. For the first year, people who suffer it have an estimated cost of between $ 700,000 and $ 1.2 million. As for the lifetime costs, these range between $ 3.5 and $ 5 million.
Statistics on spinal cord injuries in the U.S.A.
This is how the UAB’s National Center for Spinal Cord Injury Statistics divides injuries of this type:
- Traffic accident: 38.6%
- Falls: 32.2%
- Violence (mainly gunshot wounds): 14%
- Sports: 7.8%
- Medical / Surgery: 4.3%
- Others: 3.1%
Note: In the following common causes section, we include some that would also fall under the “other” category. With more than 40 years of experience we have worked in cases caused by accidents of a very different nature.
Other data of interest:
- Since 2020, 17,810 new cases of spinal cord injuries have occurred. That is, an annual incidence of 54 cases per million people in the US population of 328 million people.
- Between 250,000 and 368,000 people currently live with SCI in the U.S.
- The average age of injury is 43 years.
- 78% of new cases of SCI are male.
On the website of the University of Alabama at Birmingham you can check truly devastating statistics.
Common causes for spinal cord injury cases that we face
Among the most common causes are many of those cited in the statistics above:
- Truck accidents;
- Bicycle accidents;
- Vehicle crashes;
- Violent crime, especially with gunshots;
- Navigation accidents;
- Slip and fall accidents;
- High impact sports collisions;
- Object falls;
- Workplace accidents;
- Defective products;
- Hit and run accidents;
- Medical malpractice;
- Construction accidents.
As you can see many of them, as the statistics indicate are car accidents. At Lluis Law we are Los Angeles auto accident attorneys . Feel free to contact us.
Symptoms and consequences of a spinal cord injury
The symptoms and signs in this type of injury vary according to their severity and damaged vertebrae. Here are some that a victim may suffer:
- Difficulty breathing;
- Loss of motor functions;
- Numb extremities;
- General paralysis;
- Weakness or pain;
- Intestinal problems;
- Alteration of the senses;
- Swelling and internal bleeding.
How can the victim’s life change?
- You may experience partial or complete paralysis.
- Having to stay in an assistance center or have home care.
- Inability to continue working.
- Damage and suffering for you and yours.
You should seek medical attention first, and then contact us for a free case review. We likely have a possible personal injury lawsuit to pursue for you.
Can spinal cord injury be fatal?
It can be and unfortunately it is in many cases. Death can occur instantly. In other cases, the victim may die some time later due to complications such as infections, kidney failure, pulmonary embolism or pneumonia.
Those who survive these injuries may suffer from mobility problems or paralysis. That means, they may not be able to return to their previous job and may never be able to work again.
How spinal cord injury cases differ from other injuries
- These are complex cases: Being catastrophic injuries it usually involves filing claims against numerous defendants and coordinating different medical disciplines.
- They are very expensive injuries: Our attorneys will calculate your compensation considering that these injuries cost millions of dollars. After all, there are lifetime costs, lost wages and compensation for damages to consider.
Costs to consider for compensation:
These are some of the costs that our attorneys can claim.
- Medical bills, surgeries, medications, continuous therapy, and other costs of hospitalization.
- Costs for assistance requirements, from the wheelchair to software applications or ramps.
- Loss of wages and inability to generate future income.
- Constant discomfort and pain.
- Loss of health benefits and quality of life.
- Stress, anxiety, or depression.
- Mental and physical problems.
- Pain and suffering.
Resources for victims of spinal cord injuries
- American Trauma Society: Dedicated to the prevention and improvement of trauma care.
- Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation: The Reeve Foundation is dedicated to healing spinal cord injuries by funding innovative research. They seek to improve the quality of life of people with paralysis through information, defense and subsidies.
- Family Voices: National family-run organization for friends and families of children and youth with health care needs and disabilities.
- United Spinal Association: Association to improve the quality of life for Americans with spinal cord injuries and disorders.
How our Los Angeles spinal cord injury lawyers helps you
David and Ramiro combine over 50 years of experience.
Personal injury lawyers fight other lawyers, negotiate with insurers, and face individuals and companies on their behalf. With them at your side you can be sure that someone is fighting for your rights and those of your family.
- They will investigate your case to gather evidence to prove the defendant’s guilt.
- They will negotiate with insurer companies to ensure that you and your family receive fair compensation.
Surely there is no possible compensation for the damage caused, but it is your right to receive it and of justice that the the culprit pays.
- Compensation for all damages mentioned previously.
- Bring the responsible company or individual to court if this helps the you.
- Guide you through the long process of the complaint and letting you clearnly know all your rights.
The reality is that money will not restore your health. However it can help rebuild your life after suffering an injury.
Contact our spinal cord injury lawyers in Los Angeles today and tell us about your case. We are here to help you.