English translate Spanish translate alert

What to do when ICE agents come to your home or place of work

The American Immigration Lawyers Association has taken up the advocacy of informing aliens in the United States of their rights when agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement visit them at their home.

Even aliens have the right not to let ICE agents into their homes.

It is important to know that the agents of ICE cannot enter your home without a valid search warrant that is signed by a judge. This means that you do not have to open the door for them or let them in. You can talk with them through a window or through a closed door. If they have a warrant with them, ask them to slip it under the door so that you can see it and read it.

Your employer can also refuse to let the ICE agents inside your place of work unless they have a valid search warrant.

If you do decide to let the ICE agents in or if you decide to speak with them, check the warrant first. A warrant for deportation alone will not allow them to enter your home. Only a valid search warrant will allow them to enter your home. See that your name is spelled right.  If it is not your name on the search warrant then you do not need to let them in. If it is not your name on the deportation warrant, then you do not have to go with them.

Even aliens have the right to remain silent.

You do not have to answer their questions. You do not need to give them your name or your citizenship or residence status. You do not need to answer any of their questions. You must tell them that you are choosing to remain silent. If they ask for an ID, you can politely refuse to show an ID. Do not ever give them a fake ID.

If they make you fall in line in accordance with your citizenship or residency status, you can politely refuse.  Falling in line is the same as giving testimony because you are forced to reveal information about yourself. You can politely refuse to give evidence against yourself.

Even aliens have the right to an attorney.

You can ask to be allowed to phone your lawyer, if you have one. You can ask for a lawyer to be provided for you if you do not have one. You can refuse to talk or to sign any paper unless you have a lawyer present who can who will explain to you what the document is and what it might mean if you talk or sign a document. You can also contact your consulate or embassy instead of your lawyer, if you wish.