If you want to travel to the United States, you need to know the different types of American visas you may be eligible for. This largely depends on your travel purpose to the country.
In this article you will learn about the different types of main American visas. If you also want to obtain detailed information on each of these, you will find different links throughout the blog to the corresponding type of American visa.
Our immigration lawyers in Los Angeles from Lluis Law will be able to help you with everything related to these visas. We are well known for having over 50 years of combined experience in these cases, so you’ll be in good hands. Contact us today and receive information through a personalized consultation.
LATINOS WITH OVER 50 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Tell Us Your Case
Table of Contents
Main Categories And Types Of American Visas In 2023
So, what are the types of visas that exist? Let’s take a look at the most popular sorted by categories and purpose of travel:
Didn’t find the visa you were looking for? Don’t worry. Here we have only included the most important ones but that doesn’t mean we can’t attend you with your particular case. Whatever visa you need assistance with, feel free to contact us.
Our attorneys have a combined 50 years experience dealing with all types of American visas and their eligibility for our clients.
What Are The Requirements To Apply For The American Visa?
Now that you know what type of American visas there are, it is time to know their requirements. Each visa has its own specific requirements, so you will only be able to find out if you choose the corresponding visa.
However, we will show you the most common or general requirements for these requests:
- A filled DS-160 Form. Subsequently, your confirmation sheet must be printed;
- Have a valid passport. Must be valid for at least 6 months;
- Have a photograph. The photo must meet the following requirements;
- Details of your social networks. A list of each of these, the name and your email must be submitted.
These are just some basic requirements. Also, they can change depending on your nationality.
Keep in mind that different types of American visas are available for Mexican, Colombian, and Venezuelan immigrants as well as those in Nicaragua, Honduras, or any other country. Therefore, your requirements may vary.
How To Apply For A Visa To The United States?
The application process depends on the type of visa for which you are eligible. The most common process is as follows:
- Fill out the visa application form;
- Pay the respective application fee;
- Schedule an appointment with the US embassy;
- Gather all the necessary documents for the visa interview;
- Attend the interview.
Tips To Prepare For The Visa Interview At The US Embassy
Here are some tips for the American visa interview:
- Comply with the assigned schedule. You must arrive on time, but no more than 15 to 30 minutes before your appointment time. The line outside is not organized based on arrival time, so it is not necessary to arrive many hours in advance;
- Respect the safety rules. The security control is similar to that of the airports, therefore, you should not enter the embassy with articles or artifacts that are not allowed;
- Bring all the necessary documents. You must bring all the documents required for your visa application to the interview. In addition, receipt of payment of each of the requested fees;
- Answer all questions from the consular officer. These questions are made by the consular officer to determine if there is any risk that if the visa is approved, the aliens will fulfill their initial purpose and not another one. For example, using a nonimmigrant visa with purposes of unlawful presence in the United States;
- Know the consequences of lying. It is very important to answer truthfully in the interview. Offering false documentation or lying to obtain a visa is considered fraud and can lead to visa ineligibility for the rest of your life;
- Be polite. Finally, it is essential not to insult, shout, make bad comments or similar things. These attitudes can be recorded in the files of the applicants, which makes it difficult to approve the visa in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Different types of American Visas
There are about 185 types of US visas and they are divided into 2 main categories, nonimmigrant visas and immigrant visas.
When you receive the US visa you will get something similar to the following image:
Non-immigrant visas are those that only allow a temporary stay in the US, whether for reasons of business, tourism, studies, visits or others. Once the alien fulfills the purpose of it or the visa expires, they must leave the country.
The main difference is that aliens with immigrant visas can stay in the US permanently. On the other hand, those with non-immigrant visas can only stay in the country temporarily.
If you are wondering which US visa is easy to obtain, for most immigrants, the easiest to obtain is the B-2 visa. This is because it is a quick way to get into the US, especially if you want to visit for pleasure purposes.
In some cases, it is possible to have two types of US visas at the same time. Different visas are granted depending on the purpose and function of the aliens’s trip to the US. An example is the American B-1/B-2 visa types, which can be granted at the same time for business and tourism purposes.
No visa is better than another. Before you apply, you should determine which type of visa is best for you and which suits your needs or purpose of travel to the United States. In these cases, it is essential to have a good immigration attorney.
Although the visa allows alien nationals to travel to a US port of entry and apply for permission to enter the country, having a visa approved does not guarantee entry to the United States.
Generally, applicants under the age of 14 and over the age of 80 do not need to appear at the embassy for the visa interview.
If you lose your passport, you must apply again for the visa, since this is also lost.
Most denials are under section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This type of denial is often related to their failure to demonstrate to the consular officer that they have strong ties to their country of origin and strong reasons to return after traveling to the US.
Once the interview is over, the officer in charge will inform you if the visa has been approved or rejected. If approved, you can pick up your passport with the visa at the DHL branch or wait to receive it at your home address. This can take a period of 5 to 7 business days to be sent, but in certain cases it can take weeks or months.
Generally, American visas have a validity period of 10 years. However, this validity does not determine the length of stay in the US.
Those countries within the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) do not need a visa to enter the US. To do so, they must process an ESTA application.
Lawyers In Los Angeles For The Different Types Of American Visas
Our office has been located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles for more than 40 years, near the courthouses. Our lawyers are well recognized and appreciated, especially among the Latino community, for having helped hundreds of immigrants process the different US visas.
If you have questions about a visa, need to process one and require our legal services, do not hesitate to contact us today. Having lawyers by your side with extensive experience in all types of immigration matters may be the first step to achieving your goals.
LATINOS WITH OVER 50 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Tell Us Your Case